Humanities › Issues Applying for the CPP Retirement Pension What You Should Know Before You Apply for the CPP Retirement Pension Share Flipboard Email Print Carpenter Working in Retirement. Geber86 / Vetta / Getty Images Issues Canadian Government The U. S. Government U.S. Foreign Policy U.S. Liberal Politics U.S. Conservative Politics Women's Issues Civil Liberties The Middle East Terrorism Race Relations Immigration Crime & Punishment Animal Rights View More By Susan Munroe Canadian Culture Expert B.A., Political Science, Carleton University Susan Munroe is a public affairs and communications professional based in Canada. our editorial process Susan Munroe Updated July 30, 2017 The application for the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) retirement pension is quite simple. However, there are a lot of things to learn and decide before you apply. What is the CPP Retirement Pension? The CPP retirement pension is a government pension based on workers' earnings and contributions. Just about everybody over the age of 18 who works in Canada (except in Quebec) contributes to the CPP. (In Quebec, the Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) is similar.) The CPP is planned to cover about 25 percent of pre-retirement earnings from work. Other pensions, savings and interest income are expected to make up the other 75 percent of your retirement income. Who is Eligible for a CPP Retirement Pension? In theory, you must have made at least one valid contribution to the CPP. Contributions are based on employment income between a set minimum and maximum. How much and how long you contribute to the CPP affects the amount of your pension benefits. Service Canada maintains a Statement of Contributions and can provide an estimate of what your pension would be if you were eligible to take it now. Register for and visit My Service Canada Account to see and print a copy. You can also get a copy by writing to: Contributor Client ServicesCanada Pension PlanService CanadaPO Box 9750 Postal Station TOttawa, ON K1G 3Z4 The standard age to start receiving a CPP retirement pension is 65. You can receive a reduced pension at the age of 60 and an increased pension if you delay starting your pension until after the age of 65. You can see some of the changes that are taking place in the reductions and increases in CPP retirement pensions in the article Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Changes. Important Considerations There are numerous situations that can affect your CPP retirement pension, and some may increase your pension income. Some of those are: Child rearing provision can be requested if you stopped working or received a lower income as the primary caregiver of your children under the age of seven, which could increase your retirement pension.Pension sharing with your spouse or common-law partner could mean tax savings for you.Credit splitting after a divorce or separation allows CPP contributions made by you and your spouse or common-law partner to be equally divided.International social security agreements may make you eligible for a pension if you've lived and worked in certain countries. How to Apply for the CPP Retirement Pension You must apply for the CPP retirement pension. It is not automatic. For your application to be eligible You must be at least a month past your 59th birthdayYou must have contributed to the CPPYou must want your pension payments to begin within 11 months. You can apply online. This is a two-part process. You can submit your application electronically. However, you must print and sign a signature page that you then must sign and mail to Service Canada. You could also print and complete the ISP1000 application form and mail it to the appropriate address. Don't miss the detailed information sheet that comes with the application form. After You Apply for the CPP Retirement Pension You can expect to receive your first CPP payment approximately eight weeks after Service Canada receives your application. Service Canada has other useful information to be aware of once you start receiving your benefits.