Creepy Babysitting Experience

Keri is freaked out by scary disturbances from outside the house while babysitting

My scary experience happened to me when I was babysitting my cousin's six children in the neighboring reservation called Little Saskatchewan. It was June, 2007. It was already 10:00 p.m.; I know because the kids were supposed to be in bed at 9:30, so I got them all ready for bed, and off they went. I sat around for a while, made a snack, and went to the computer room to waste some time, since I wasn't tired yet.

I decided to call a friend, since I was feeling uneasy about being up alone in Kathy's house (the nearest neighbor was quite a way across a field) and it was so quiet after the kids were asleep. I was talking on the phone to my friend. It made me forget about the uneasy feeling I had earlier. I decided to go outside for a cigarette.

I sat on the back door steps, still on the phone. I told my friend to wait until I was done, because I wasn't too scared when I talking on the phone. I finished my cigarette and let my friend go. I wanted to do some things around the house. As I was walking inside, I noticed the front door across the living room was wide open. No one ever uses the front door. It was even taped shut -- summer in the country, in Manitoba, is the worst for mosquitoes.

I walked fast to go close it. I even put a small table in front of it so it wouldn't open again. I checked the kids quickly; they were all sound asleep.

Feeling very creeped out, I proceeded to go to the computer room to get my mind off what happened. As I was sitting there, I heard a knock at the window. There were blinds on it, so I couldn't see out. I got up and walked to the living room, pretending I didn't hear it.

Suddenly, I heard knocking at the front window, then the kitchen window, then all the windows at the same time.

It got louder and louder. I flipped! I know this part is really cliché but, I grabbed a knife and the phone and ran and sat with my back against the back door, where there were no windows. Then I heard a scratch that started at the top of the door all the way to the bottom.

As it got to the back of my head, I started to cry. I quickly called my friend back and told him everything. His only advice was to tell me to call someone to pick me up, which was not a possibility, since I didn't know anyone in Lil Sask (as we call it) and that there were six kids sleeping in the bedroom. I calmed down enough to get off the phone, and made a bed in the living room with the lights on and I fell asleep.

In the morning, I took a walk outside to look around. There was no evidence of any being here, no footprints, nothing. I didn't tell Kathy what happened. I just wanted to go home and get away from there. I told my mom a few days later; she then told Kathy, of course. Kathy admitted that before when her sister was sleeping over on the couch, that she awoke to a little girl -- with no face! -- standing in front of her. After that, no amount of money would make me babysit for Kathy overnight again.

Previous story | Next story

Back to index