Changing Your Address With the Canada Revenue Agency

Tell the CRA When You Move

Purestock/Getty Images

When you move, you should notify the Canada Revenue Agency as soon as possible.

Keeping your address up to date will make sure that you receive your income tax refund and benefit payments, including related provincial payments, such as GST/HST credit payments, universal child care benefit payments, Canada child tax benefit payments and working income tax benefit advance payments, without interruption.

You can't change your address as you're using NETFILE to file your income taxes online. Personal information is not passed along with the online return. You must change your address before you submit your income tax return by NETFILE.

There are several ways to inform the CRA of your change of address.


Use the My Account Tax Service.

By Phone

Call the Individual Income Tax Enquiries telephone service at 1-800-959-8281.

Complete an Address Change Request Form

You can print and complete the address change request form and mail it to the appropriate tax center listed on the bottom of the form.

You can fill it in online, then save it to file or print it, sign it and then send it to your tax center, following the CRA instructions.

Write or Fax the CRA

Send a letter or fax to your CRA tax center. Include your signature, social insurance number, old and new address and the date of your move.

If you are including other people in your change of address request, such as your spouse or non-married partner, be sure to include information for each person and make sure each person also signs the letter to authorize the change.