The Damper on a Piano

mla apa chicago
Your Citation
Kraemer, Brandy. "The Damper on a Piano." ThoughtCo, Jun. 5, 2017, Kraemer, Brandy. (2017, June 5). The Damper on a Piano. Retrieved from Kraemer, Brandy. "The Damper on a Piano." ThoughtCo. (accessed September 24, 2017).
grandriver/Getty Images

The piano-related term damper may refer to:

  1. The felt-covered parts of the piano action that rest on the strings and prevent them from resonating once your fingers lift off the keys. Dampers are always touching unused strings, but may be lifted with the sustain pedal and sostenuto pedal.
  2. The sustain pedal is also called the “damper pedal” because it lifts all the dampers at once, allowing the strings to resonate long after keys have been pressed and released.

    More Technical Piano Terms:

    View All / By Category