Lefkandi (Greece) - Village, Cemeteries and Temple to a Hero

Was the Temple at Lefkandi Dedicated to a Greek Dark Age Hero?

Beachfront at Lefkandi, Euboea Island
Beachfront at Lefkandi, Euboea Island. Agnee

Lefkandi is the best known archaeological site from Dark Age Greece (1200-750 BC), consisting of a village and associated cemeteries located near the modern village of Eretria on the southern shore of the island of Euboea (known as Evvia or Evia). An important element of the site is what scholars have interpreted as a heroon, a temple dedicated to a hero. 

Lefkandi was founded in the Early Bronze Age, and was occupied nearly continuously between approximately 1500 BC through 331 BC.

Lefkandi (called by its residents Lelanton) was one of the locations settled by the Mycenaeans after the fall of Knossos. The occupation is unusual in that its residents seemed to have carried on with the prevailing Mycenaean social structure while the rest of Greece fell into disarray.

Lefkandi's Dark Age

At its height during the so-called "Greek Dark Age" (12th-8th century BO), Lefkandi's village was a large but scattered settlement, a loose cluster of houses and hamlets scattered over a wide area, with a fairly low population.

At least six cemeteries were discovered on Euboea, dated between 1100-850 BC. Grave goods in the buriels included gold and luxury goods from the Near East, such as Egyptian faience and bronze jugs, Phoenician brown bowls, scarabs and seals. Burial 79, known as the "Euboean Warrior Trader", particularly held a wide range of pottery, iron and bronze artifacts, and a set of 16 trader's balance weights.

Over time, the burials became increasingly rich in gold and imports until 850 BC, when the burials abruptly ceased, even though the settlement continued to thrive.

One of these cemeteries is called Toumba, because it was located on the lower east slope of the Toumba hillock. Excavations by the Greek Archaeological Service and the British School at Athens between 1968 and 1970 found 36 tombs and 8 pyres: their investigations continue to this day.

Toumba's Proto-Geometric Heröon

Within the limits of the Toumba cemetery was discovered a large building with substantial walls, Proto-geometric in date, but partly destroyed before it could be fully excavated. This structure, believed to be a heröon (a temple dedicated to a warrior), was 10 meters (33 feet) wide and at least 45 m (150 ft) long, erected on a leveled platform of rock. Parts of the remaining wall stand 1.5 m (5 ft) high, constructed by a subtantial interior of rough-shaped stones with a mud-brick superstructure and an interior facing of plaster.

The building had a porch on the east face and an ovoid apse at the west; its interior held three rooms, the largest, central room measuring 22 m (72 ft) long and two smaller square rooms at the apsidal end. The floor was made of clay laid directly on rock or on a shallow shingle bedding. It had a reed roof, supported by a row of central posts, rectangular timbers of 20-22 cm wide and 7-8 cm thick, set into circular pits. The building was used for a short time, between 1050 and 950 BC.

The Heröon Burials

Below the center room, two rectangular shafts extended deep into the bed rock. The northern-most shaft, cut 2.23 m (7.3 ft) below the rock surface, held the skeletal remains of three or four horses, apparently thrown or driven head first into the pit.

The southern shaft was deeper, 2.63 m (8.6 ft) below the central room floor. The walls of this shaft were lined with mudbrick and faced with plaster. A small adobe and wooden structure was in one of the corners.

The southern shaft held two burials, an extended burial of a woman between 25-30 years, with a gold and faience necklace, gilt hair coils and other gold and iron artifacts; and a bronze amphora holding the cremated remains of a male warrior, aged 30-45. These burials suggested to the excavators that the building above was a heröon, a temple built to honor a hero, warrior or king. Under the floor east of the burial shaft was found an area of rock scorched by a fierce fire and containing a circle of postholes, believed to represent the pyre on which the hero was cremated.

Sources

See the British School of Athens site on Lefkandi for further details and interpretations.

This article is a part of the About.com guide to the Mycenaean culture, and the Dictionary of Archaeology.

Kroll JH. 2008. Early Iron Age balance weights at Lefkandi, Euboea. Oxford Journal of Archaeology 27(1):37-48.

Popham M, Touloupa E, and Sackett LH. 1982. The hero of Lefkandi. Antiquity 56(218):169-174. doi: 10.1017/S0003598X00054648. 

Popham MR, Calligas PG, Sackett LH, Coulton J, and Catling HW. 1993. LEFKANDI II. The Protogeometric Building at Toumba. PART 2: The Excavation, Architecture and Finds. The British School at Athens Supplementary Volumes 23:1-101.

Pullen DJ. 2013. "Minding the Gap": Bridging the Gaps in Cultural Change Within the Early Bronze Age Aegean. American Journal of Archaeology 117(4):545-553.

Toffolo MB, Fantalkin A, Lemos IS, Felsch RCS, Niemeier W-D, Sanders GDR, Finkelstein I, and Boaretto E. 2013. Towards an Absolute Chronology for the Aegean Iron Age: New Radiocarbon Dates from Lefkandi, Kalapodi and Corinth. PLoS ONE 8(12):e83117.

Whitley J. 2001. The Archaeology of Ancient Greece. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.