More Phantom Phone Calls

Scary looking cell phone
Photo: Creative RF / Maciej Toporowicz, NYC / Getty Images

Here's further evidence that devices such as telephones could be connections to realms we have not even begun to understand

How would we in today's culture get by without our phones? As communications tools for keeping in touch with friends and family and for doing business, it's become indispensable. As we saw in our recent article, "Freaky Phone Calls", however, sometimes the telephone is a link to the unexpected and the unexplained.

In the poll we conducted with that article, more than half of respondents (at this writing) said that they have had a weird or unexplained experience with their phones.

Are they merely technical glitches? It's likely that many of these experiences can be chalked up to crossed lines, cell and cordless phone interference, and other explainable malfunctions. But there are other experiences that are not so easily explained away. So what's the answer? Can beings on other planes of existence make contact through electronics? (Consider the phenomenon of EVP.) Or can the mysterious workings of our own minds, our subconscious, use such devices as phones to express our deepest desires and fears?

Here are more true stories that just might make your heart skip a beat the next time the phone rings...


When I was five I lived in a very small village near Vienna, Austria with my mum, my sister and my brother.

My mother got divorced from her husband approximately three months previously and I was having a hard time. One day, I was alone at home watched TV when the telephone rang. I answered the call, but there was no one on the other end. There was just the melody of the traditional song "Greensleeves", sounding like something electronic.

I listened to it for about two minutes and hung up.

Eight years later, my mother married again and we moved to another town called Neunkirchen. We lived there for about three months, and one day the telephone began to ring. I was alone at home, and this time the phone did not ring as usual. It sounded very electronic and weird. I took the call, and there it was again - the melody of "Greensleeves." I got very nervous and frightened, and I wanted my dad to back-trace the call. One week later, our telephone company sent us the trace log: the complete number did not belong to any company, man or anything else, but it definitely originated from South America. - ste fan


I was in the kitchen making dinner with my five-year-old son. All of a sudden, he looked at the phone as if it were ringing. He quickly picked up the phone and began talking to someone on the phone. He said his name, said "yes," then looked at me and handed me the phone. Shocked, I asked him who he was talking to. He answered, "Grandmom."

I asked him, "What does she want?"

He answered, "She wants to talk to you. She wants to say goodbye."

I took the phone, but heard nothing. My mother has been dead for five years.

My son has never played or pretended on the phone. We have never spoken to him about a grandmother, because we felt he was too young to understand. That was the first time he ever said her name. - Julia K.


I am one of those people who never writes letters, but I wanted to share my strange phone call story with you. I have strange things happen around me, but never to me personally. My fiancé is the Louisiana MUFON State Director who had, a few months ago, done a live show with Whitley Strieber on Dreamland about orbs. So, in his "hunt" for orbs, we went driving to another small city in Louisiana and wound up in their town cemetery.

I was anticipating a cell phone call from a friend of mine, so when my phone started to ring from the back seat, neither of us were surprised. But when he handed me my purse, we were both stunned because my phone was ringing, vibrating and blinking as if there were a message.

Yet there was no call being registered on the caller ID. When I answered it, there was nothing but "dead" air. And later, speaking to my friend, it was not her calling. So... ? It still perplexes me to this day. My phone should not even be able to do those three things at the same time. - CMA


A few years ago, my daughter, her boyfriend and I were watching Poltergeist. At the point of the movie, near the end, where the family is battling with the negative entity, the phone, which was on the table next to me, rang. I picked it up, not really wanting to be distracted from the movie. At first, there was just static on the other end. I kept saying, "Hello? Hello?" Then my girlfriend, Toni, was on the other end saying, "Hello? Hello?" I said hi to her and there was a moment of uncomfortable silence.

I said, "So, what did you want?"

And she said, "What do you mean? You called me!"

I said, "No, I didn't, we were watching a movie and my phone rang. Maybe you hit redial or something on your phone." She said that she had made half a dozen phone calls to other numbers other than mine since we had last talked. She was on her cell phone and she and her son were just driving back to their home. I said "Where are you?" She told me that when her phone rang, she had just been passing Glenview Memorial Gardens, a cemetery located in a little town, Ixonia, Wisconsin. We just let it go at that, both wondering what was going on with this double phone call. - DhyAn 2e


I recall an incident that happened 20 years ago to my mother. She decided to have a phone installed in her home as she was a diabetic and wanted to be able to be in close contact with me. A day or two after having her phone installed, she started receiving very weird phone calls. She got these calls at night, in the afternoon and in the morning; sometimes she would get these calls four to five times a day. The calls were from a little girl who mom said sounded like she was about four or five years old.

The phone would ring, mom would answer it and the little girl would say, "Mamma! Mamma! I want my mamma!" My mom would try to ask her questions, but all the little girl would say was, "Mamma! Mamma! I want my mamma!" This went on for a week, and it freaked my mom out so bad that she had her phone disconnected and never had a phone after that. - Loretta R.

Next page: The Holiday Ghost and more strange calls


My fiancé Aaron has a pre-WWII home, and the ghost of the man that lived there originally haunts his house and the house of the neighbors every year between Thanksgiving and New Year. My "freaky phone call" happened at Christmas, so I think it was that ghost. One day, I called Aaron. He answered his cell phone; it was definitely his voice and he called me by my pet name. He has a unique voice, so I knew it was him.

But the call was faint and it just disappeared. I hit redial, and since I assumed he was there for it or he picked up the first time, I kept redialing over and over without a pickup.

Later, he called me and wondered why the heck I called 30 times. I explained that I was just talking to him on his cell phone, that the call disappeared and I was trying to get a hold of him again. That is when he told me he was out all day and did not have his cell phone with him! He had left it behind to recharge. So who was I talking to? Was it the house's holiday ghost playing games? - Heidi


Two or three years ago, I was on the phone late night with my boyfriend. He had been out of town, so we were catching up on things. It began as a late call and finally we decided to go to bed around 3 or 4 a.m. It was like, "Well, I can hardly stay awake. I think I am gonna go to bed... What do you think, Larry?" He agreed so we said our "I love you's" and said goodnight when at the same time, a creepy voice of a man said, "Okay, goodnight." There was a funny click sound and then silence.

We both were startled, to say the least. No one else was home at either of our places, so it wasn't a family member playing a joke or anything. It could have been something to do with the cordless phones, but I have this feeling that is not the answer. It is so weird to think that whoever or whatever that was, that they were listening in on the whole conversation.

To this day we are both completely baffled about the whole experience. - Rachel


My son Jason died in July, 1994 at a Pink Floyd concert at RFK stadium. He adored his nephew (my grandson), who at the time was 21 months old. We were all sitting around my mother's house a few days after Jason died (he grew up in that house), and weren't talking about him or anything, just sitting around. All of a sudden, my grandson got up, went into the dining room, picked up the phone and started carrying on a conversation: "Yes... I will... I am... Okay... Uh-huh..." Mom asked who he was talking to. He looked at her like she should know and answered, "Uncle Jason" very matter-of-factly, and handed her the phone. She held the receiver to her ear and there was just dead air, no dial tone and no operator telling her to hang up and call later or anything.

Recently, my grandson, now nine, was on the computer when all of a sudden the words "Wish You Were Here" came on the screen and repeated all the way across and down the screen. It really freaked out my daughter. When my daughter is feeling lonely or upset, she can drive down the road and say, "Jason, I miss you" or that she wants a sign that he is with her...

and on the radio will come Pink Floyd or certain Eric Clapton songs that she can relate to Jason. On another occasion, my grandson was sitting up in bed talking to Uncle Jason and telling us things about Jason's childhood he had no way of knowing. - Connie


Several years back in college, we were doing a play. I believe the name of the play was Dream Play and it involved angels, the paranormal and such. The college theatre is located at Washington College on Maryland's eastern shore. Many paranormal activities are centered in this theatre. It was rumored that while the theatre was being built, a homeless man took shelter one night in the basement and died from exposure. We affectionately called him Noel after Noel Coward, the playwright.

One day at about noon, on the first day of constructing the set, we decided to get some lunch.

We went to the department head's office to order pizza. There were about five of us. The whole time we were in the office, the phone kept ringing. When we would pick it up, there was only static on the other end. Annoyed at this, we finally took the phone off the hook. At that point, the other phone in the professor's office next door started ringing.

We were all a little freaked out as we have all had paranormal experiences in the building. A friend and I decided to do some investigation work. Being theatre techies, we knew the place inside and out, and we knew where the phone lines come into the building and where the main bus is. We headed for the main bus upstairs in one of the lofts. The loft is nothing more then a hallway of sorts that runs the length of the theatre from the stage to the lighting booth above and to the left of the audience seating. We use this area for storing props, and the dimmers used to be located there.

We entered the dimmer room and looked down this hallway. Seeing nothing, we proceeded with flashlights in hand to the phones' main bus for the building. Everything looked to be in order. At the moment we decided everything was fine, the door to the dimmer room shut with a bang and three lights on the cat walk above us blew out in order.

We almost killed each other getting out of there, down the stairs and out of the building. The other three people in the office saw us run by and came to ask what was wrong. We sat outside and waited for the pizza guy, ate and left as none of us wanted to go back inside and work after we related our story. Some could say yes it's a drafty old building that caused the door to slam shut. Yes, it's an old theatre built in the early sixties with a faulty electrical system in bad need of repair, but if you ask any drama major at Washington College about Noel, they'll tell you differently. - Tony S.