Personal Income Tax Information Online with CRA's My Account

Easy Computer Access from the Canada Revenue Agency

Woman on laptop thinking
Tim Robberts / Stone / Getty Images

My Account is a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) service that provides Canadians with secure access to their personal income tax information online. The My Account ​hours of service are 21 hours a day.

Tax Information Available on My Account

The My Account tax service lets you see information on various topics, including:

  • Your income tax refund
  • Income tax returns and assessments
  • Income tax account balance
  • Income tax installment payments
  • Some tax slips: (T4, T4A, T4A(P), T4A(OAS), T4E)
  • Canada Child Tax Benefit and related provincial program payments and balances
  • Universal Child Care Benefit payments, balance and statement of account
  • Goods and Services Tax (GST) credit or Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) credit and related provincial program payments and balances
  • Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) contributions, deductions claimed, and your RRSP contribution limit
  • Home Buyers Plan and Lifelong Learning Plan statement information
  • Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA) information
  • Working Income Tax Benefit advance payments
  • Disability tax credit

You can also make requests and take other actions on My Account, such as:

  • Change your return
  • Change personal information such as address, phone number, or marital status
  • Authorize a representative
  • Apply for child benefits
  • Arrange direct deposit
  • Request remittance forms
  • Set up a payment plan
  • Disagree with your assessment
  • Submit documents

Logging in to Use the My Account Service

When you go to the My Account site, you will be given a choice between logging in with a CRA User ID and password, or logging in with credentials you may already have with a Sign-in Partner, such as those you use for online banking. When you use a Sign-in Partner, none of your personal tax information is shared with your financial institution, and the name of your financial institution, log-in credentials, and banking details are not shared with the CRA.

Using a CRA User ID and Password

To use a CRA user ID and password, you must first register for the CRA My Account service. Be sure the CRA has your current address before you register. There are several ways to change your address with the CRA.

Read the CRA instructions on how to register carefully before registering for My Account. It's a four-step process. You'll need your last two income tax returns, your Social Insurance Number, your date of birth and your postal code. Be ready to create a user ID and password using CRA checklists, and also be ready to create and answer security questions. You'll also have to wait for at least five business days (15 business days outside Canada and the United States) to receive a CRA security code in the mail. The security code has an expiry date, so be sure to follow the instructions in the letter you receive with the code.

The Quick Access Service has been discontinued, but you can now get immediate access to some of your personal tax information using My Account without having to wait for the security access code. Without a security access code, you can:

  • View the general status of your tax return (detailed information about the status of your return requires the security access code)
  • View your RRSP and TFSA limits for the current year
  • request a remittance form
  • View notice of assessment or reassessment

Using a Sign-in Partner

To use a Sign-in Partner to access the My Account Tax Service, first read the Using a Sign-in Partner FAQ. Then select "Sign-in Partner Login" on My Account to choose a Sign-in Partner. By choosing a Sign-in Partner you will be agreeing to the terms, conditions, and privacy notice of SecureKey Concierge, which is a credential broker service that acts as a bridge between the Canadian government and participating credential service providers.

Computer Requirements for My Account Tax Service

Check that your operating system and browser configurations and settings meet the requirements to use My Account.

Help With My Account Tax Service

If you require help using the My Account service, call the CRA.

mla apa chicago
Your Citation
Munroe, Susan. "Personal Income Tax Information Online with CRA's My Account." ThoughtCo, Feb. 16, 2021, Munroe, Susan. (2021, February 16). Personal Income Tax Information Online with CRA's My Account. Retrieved from Munroe, Susan. "Personal Income Tax Information Online with CRA's My Account." ThoughtCo. (accessed June 15, 2021).

Watch Now: What Is Taxable Income?