T4 Tax Slips

T4 Tax Slips for Employment Income for Canadian Income Tax Returns

Calculating Employment Income. Tom Merton / Caiaimage / Getty Images

Updated: 02/19/2015

What are T4 Tax Slips?

A Canadian T4 tax slip, or Statement of Remuneration Paid, is prepared and issued by an employer to tell you and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) how much employment income you were paid during a tax year and the amount of income tax that was deducted. Employment income includes salary, bonuses, vacation pay, tips, honorariums, commissions, taxable allowances, the value of taxable benefits and payment in lieu of notice.

You usually receive three copies of a T4 tax slip - one to attach to your Canadian federal tax return, one to attach to your provincial or territory tax return and one to keep for your own records. You also may receive more than one T4 tax slip if you had more than one job.

Deadline for T4 Tax Slips

T4 tax slips must be issued by the last day of February the year after the calendar year to which the T4 tax slips apply.

Sample T4 Tax Slip

This sample T4 tax slip from the CRA site shows what a T4 looks like. For more information on what is included in each box on the T4 tax slip and how to deal with it when filing your income tax return, click on the box number in the pull-down menu or click on the box on the sample T4 tax slip.

The back of the T4 slip also explains each item on the T4 tax slip, which items to report on your income tax return and where, and which items are for Canada Revenue Agency use only.

Filing T4 Tax Slips With Your Income Tax Return

When you file a paper income tax return, include copies of each of the T4 tax slips you receive. If you file your income tax return using NETFILE or EFILE, keep copies of your T4 tax slips with your records for six years in case the CRA asks to see them.

Missing T4 Tax Slips

If you haven't received a T4 slip, file your income tax return by the deadline anyway to avoid penalties for filing your income taxes late. Calculate the income and any related deductions and credits you can claim as closely as you can using any information you have. Include a note with the employer's name and address, the type of income, and what you have done to get a copy of the missing T4 slip. You are required to ask the employer for a copy of the missing T4. Include copies of any statements and employment stubs you used in calculating the income and deductions for the missing T4 tax slip.

If you need a T4 slip for a previous tax year, try looking in the My Account service or calling the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Other T4 Tax Information Slips

Other T4 tax information slips include:

  • T4A - Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
  • T4A(OAS) - Statement of Old Age Security
  • T4A(P) - Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits
  • T4E - Statement of Employment Insurance and Other Benefits
  • T4RIF - Statement of Income From a Registered Retirement Income Fund
  • T4RSP - Statement of RRSP Income