T5 Tax Slips

Canadian T5 Tax Slips for Investment Income

Shallow focus of close up on hands
Calculating Investment Income. John Rensten/Photographer's Choice RF/Getty Images

Updated: 03/03/2015

What are T5 Tax Slips?

A Canadian T5 tax slip, or Statement of Investment Income, is prepared and issued by organizations which pay interest, dividends or royalties to tell you and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) how much investment income you earned for a given tax year. Income included on T5 tax slips includes most dividends, royalties and interest from bank accounts, accounts with investment dealers or brokers, insurance policies, annuities and bonds.

Organizations do not usually issue T5 slips for interest and investment income of under $50, although you should still report that income when you file your Canadian income tax return.

Deadline for T5 Tax Slips

T5 tax slips must be issued by the last day of February the year after the calendar year to which the T5 tax slips apply.

Filing T5 Tax Slips With Your Income Tax Return

When you file a paper income tax return, include copies of each of the T5 tax slips you receive. If you file your income tax return using NETFILE or EFILE, keep copies of your T5 tax slips with your records for six years in case the CRA asks to see them.

Missing T5 Tax Slips

As mentioned above, organizations do not usually issue T5 slips for interest and investment income of under $50, but you should still report that income when you file your income tax return.

You are required to ask for a copy of a missing T5 tax slip.

If you haven't received a T5 slip, file your income tax return by the tax deadline anyway to avoid penalties for filing your income taxes late. Calculate the investment income and any related tax credits you can claim as closely as you can using any information you have. Include a note with the organization's name and address, the type and amount of investment income, and what you have done to get a copy of the missing T5 slip.

Include copies of any statements you used in calculating the income for the missing T5 tax slip.

The Canada Revenue Agency will charge a penalty if you file an income tax return and forget to include a tax slip for the second time within a four-year period. They will also charge interest on the balance due, calculated from the tax deadline of the year to which the slip applied.

If you have filed your tax return and you receive a late or amended T5 slip, file an adjustment request (T1-ADJ) immediately reporting this additional income.

Other Tax Information Slips

Other tax information slips include:

  • T4 - Statement of Remuneration Paid
  • T4A - Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
  • T4A(OAS) - Statement of Old Age Security
  • T4A(P) - Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits
  • T4E - Statement of Employment Insurance and Other Benefits
  • T4RIF - Statement of Income From a Registered Retirement Income Fund
  • T4RSP - Statement of RRSP Income