Tax Information For Immigrants

Tax season can be a frustrating time for many people but it can be especially confusing for immigrants to the United States. Do you need to file federal taxes? What do you do if you're not eligible for a SSN? Find the answers to these questions and more, with the following tax information and resources chosen specifically for immigrants.

Apply For a SSN

In general, only immigrants who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can apply for a social security number (SSN).

Find out how to apply for an SSN.

What is an ITIN?

If you need to file a federal tax return but do not qualify for a SSN, you'll need an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Find out more about ITINs.

Determining Alien Tax Status

You may be considered a resident alien of the U.S. by the IRS even if you are not a lawful permanent resident/do not hold a green card. The IRS explains how to determine your alien tax status if you are not a U.S. citizen.

Taxation of Resident and Nonresident Aliens

Nonresident aliens are generally subject to U.S. income tax only on their U.S. source income while resident aliens are generally taxed in the same way as U.S. citizens. The IRS provides an overview of taxation of resident aliens and nonresident aliens, including who must file and which forms to file.

More Tax Information and Where to Get Help

  • William Perez,'s Guide to Tax Planning is a great source for information about U.S. taxes